Raleigh, NC is a big city in terms of population and economy, but its lively cityscape is punctuated by tragedies that have taken the lives of far too many individuals.
If you’ve lost a loved one to a wrongful death incident in Raleigh, NC, you shouldn’t have to be alone in dealing with it. Seek legal help from Ted A. Greve & Associates, P.A. so you can start the process of moving on.
Wrongful Deaths in Raleigh
Your loved one’s demise can be considered a wrongful death if it was brought about by another person’s or entity’s negligence or fault. Here are some facts on the events leading to wrongful deaths in Raleigh and North Carolina:
- Road and traffic accidents. There were 30 fatal traffic accidents in Raleigh in 2011, according to City-data.com.
- Medical malpractice. According to the New England Journal of Medicine, 4,000 patients die each year from preventable medical mistakes in North Carolina hospitals.
- Workplace incidents. A report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics says that in 2011, there were 148 fatal workplace injuries in North Carolina, and 15 of these occurred in the Raleigh-Cary metropolitan area.
- Other events are common and may seem like complete accidents at first, but can later be traced back to someone else’s negligence. For example, a slip or trip and fall accident may be caused by a building owner’s failure to put up a warning sign in a hazardous area, or an electrical accident may be triggered by an appliance manufacturer’s defective product.
In a big city like Raleigh, wrongful deaths can pile up to look like mere statistics. But each case is deeply personal, as the loss of a loved one can shatter so many aspects of your life. To begin recovering from such devastation, you need to be rightfully compensated with the help of a good lawyer.
The Compensation You’re Entitled To
North Carolina law allows you to receive wrongful death compensation if you could be considered an heir of your deceased loved one. If you were closely related, such as the victim’s spouse, child or parent then you may qualify as a beneficiary.
Your loss encompasses economic and non-economic aspects, and your compensation can cover these. Economic compensation deals with financial losses, such as:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Medical expenses related to your loved one’s death
- Expected loss of income from your loved one
On the other hand, non-economic compensation is meant to pay for intangible losses like:
- Emotional suffering
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of training or guidance
It’s important to have an attorney by your side when filing a claim for compensation. Your lawyer can help establish the full amount you deserve. He can fight on your behalf when an insurance provider tries to undervalue your claim, or when there are multiple beneficiaries involved.
During this difficult time in your life, you need more than a lawyer who can effectively handle your case, but someone who can provide genuine care and concern throughout the entire legal process.
The lawyers at Ted A. Greve & Associates, P.A. have been handling personal injury and wrongful death cases in Raleigh and throughout North Carolina for over 20 years, so you know your case is in good hands. More than that, they are known to treat their clients as family. Instead of treating you as just another case and number, they will empathize with your pain and will personally fight for the justice you deserve. Call 1-800-375-9190 for a free consultation.