If you get into a car accident in Atlanta, there are a few things you need to know. If you don’t follow these steps, you’re going to make it harder to collect damages for your injuries. Whether you file a claim against the other driver’s insurance or file a lawsuit, you need to handle it right.
Any car accident lawyer in Atlanta will tell you the same thing. If you don’t call the police immediately after a car accident, you’re going to run into problems later on. You also need to make sure you go to the hospital. Now is not the time to refuse treatment.
Calling the police isn’t really a choice you can make. First of all, you’re legally required to call the cops. You have to report an accident in Georgia whether you like it or not. If you don’t, you can be arrested.
You also need the cops to investigate the accident scene. They’re going to check to see if either of the drivers were drunk at the time of the accident. They’ll also try to determine who was at fault. But most importantly, they’re going to prepare a police report.
This police report is going to contain crucial information. Without this information, your car accident lawyer in Atlanta won’t be able to prove your case. And if he does find a way to do this, it’s going to be time consuming and expensive.
Don’t make your lawyer’s job any harder than it already is.
What Does the Police Officer Do at the Scene?
When the cops arrive on the scene, they’re going to do a few things, First, they’ll check to see if anyone needs to go to the hospital. Second, he’ll prepare a police report. Finally, he’ll interview the drivers and see if anyone broke any of the traffic laws.
Some of the things the cops can do that you cannot do include:
- Get contact information for the eye witnesses
- Check that the driver’s licenses and insurance information are valid
- Test the drivers to see if they’re under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Block off the accident scene for tow trucks and crash investigators
- Call an ambulance for anyone who’s injured
These are things you just can’t do yourself. It’s not something your car accident lawyer in Atlanta can do later on either. This is why it’s so important that you call the police immediately after your crash.
Why Wouldn’t You Call the Cops?
There’s no good reason to not call the police after your car accident. That doesn’t mean everyone does what they should do. Some of the reasons people agree not to call the cops include:
- They’re late for work and just want to get on with their day
- They don’t feel like dealing with the inconvenience of waiting for the cops
- They’re afraid they’ll get a ticket
- Their license is suspended and they don’t want to get in trouble
- There doesn’t seem to be any major injuries and the damage to the cars is minimal
- The other driver asked the not to call the cops
None of these reasons is good enough. There’s really no good reason not to call the police. The police can do a lot of things you can’t do. They also have the authority to conduct a full investigation.
The police officer will check that the other driver is who he says he is. He’ll make sure the other driver didn’t give you false insurance information.
What Information is Included in the Police Report?
When they get to the accident scene, the police will check that everyone is okay. Then he’ll prepare his police report. This report will include the following information:
- Name, license and insurance information for both drivers
- Name and contact information for witnesses
- Statements made by both drivers
- Witness statements
- Pictures of the scene, road conditions and the vehicles
- Whether either driver was under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the accident
- Information regarding any citations issued as a result of the accident
Your car accident lawyer in Atlanta needs all of this information to help prove your case. He’ll use this report to get you the compensation you deserve.
Call and Schedule Your Free Consultation with a Car Accident Lawyer in Atlanta Today
If you get into a car accident, you may need to call a car accident lawyer in Atlanta. Your lawyer can make sure that the people responsible for your crash are held accountable. Having the police report will help him do this.
Call and schedule your initial consultation today. It’s absolutely free and you don’t pay a dime until you settle your case.