Summer is over and it’s time to return to the real world. Even if you worked most (or all) of the summer, it’s still not the same as fall. The kids go back to school and your schedule gets hectic again. You’re dealing with homework, studying and tutors. Your time is no longer your own. While you find yourself longing for the beach and sun, your children’s teachers are planning things like “Back to School Night.” This means that you’ll have to endure – or enjoy – a few hours at your kid’s school, talking to their teachers. You can look at all the school projects and student’s artwork that adorn the walls.
Like it or not, all parents have to contend with things like “Back to School Night.” You’ll also have to attend student plays and choir performances. All of these things take place at the school. So, what happens if, while at the school, you fall and get hurt? What are you supposed to do?
Nobody teaches parents how to handle these types of situations. Are you supposed to leave and go to the hospital? Do you have to report the accident to someone? Here, we’ll give you some tips on what to do in these situations.
Make Sure You Document the Accident
If you get hurt at your child’s school, you need to treat it like any other accident. First, make sure you’re okay. If you aren’t comfortable moving or it hurts too bad, stay where you are. Second, have someone call an ambulance. You need to get medical treatment immediately. Third, ask the teacher to get you an accident or incident form. Finally, call and speak with a personal injury attorney in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Make sure you’re okay – A lot of people who suffer a slip and fall and land on their back. You will probably be in a great deal of pain. You may have broken bones or a sprained wrist or ankle. If you don’t think you can move to a standing position, don’t do it. Wait for the EMT to lift you and carry you to the ambulance.
- Call an ambulance – You’ll be tempted to just go home and see how you feel the next day. Or, you’ll drive yourself to the hospital. This is never a good idea. Let am ambulance come and transport you to the hospital. This way, you get there safely and the doctors can examine you. It’s important that you actually go to the hospital. Your Charlotte personal injury attorney will need proof of your injuries. The best way to do this is by using your medical records.
- Document your accident – The school has to use some form for situations like this. If the teacher can’t provide you with a form, then document it on paper. Take pictures of where the accident took place. Take pictures of your injuries. And write a brief description of what happened. If there were any witnesses, get their contact information. Make a copy of this document and give the original to the teacher or principal, if they’re on the premises.
- Call an experienced personal injury lawyer in Charlotte – You’re going to need a lawyer to help you pursue the school for your injuries. As soon as you’ve received your medical treatment, call and speak with a skilled lawyer in your area. They’ll help you file any insurance claims against the school or building management. They’ll also try to negotiate a settlement of your claim.
Your Charlotte Personal Injury Lawyer Will Demand Damages
Your attorney is going to help you file an accident claim. If the insurance company refuses to pay your claim, your Charlotte injury lawyer will have no choice but to file suit. The suit will likely name the school and its management company as defendants.
In your lawsuit, your lawyer will demand the following damages:
- Medical bills, including future medical bills
- Lost wages and lost future earnings
- Property damage (if any)
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability
Your attorney will work hard to prove your damages. They’ll also try to negotiate a settlement of your claim with the insurance adjuster or attorney for the school.
Call a Personal Injury Lawyer if You’ve Been Injured on Back to School Night
If you or your spouse are injured while at “Back to School Night”, you’re going to incur some medical bills. It’s important that you contact experienced personal injury and car accident lawyers at Ted A. Greve & Associates right away.
Your attorney will make sure your claim is handled properly from the start. The initial consultation is absolutely free and you pay nothing until you settle your case.