One important thing that can impact your personal injury case is the number of plaintiffs involved. Generally speaking, most personal injury cases involve one plaintiff and one defendant. There are times, however, where more than one person is hurt in a given accident. This means that more than one person is going to be asking the defendant’s insurance company to pay their claim.
Every insurance policy has a limit. Let’s say someone has a policy with a $500,000 limit. They get into a car accident where three people are hurt. Between the three plaintiffs, they’re demanding $1 million. The insurance company can’t pay one plaintiff’s claim and ignore the others. Once they’ve accepted responsibility on the part of the defendant, it’s in their best interests to settle all three cases. This means they’ll offer the three plaintiffs a percentage of their damages. Here, since there’s only enough money to cover half of the claim, the insurance company would probably offer 50% to each defendant.
If you’ve been injured in any sort of accident, it’s a good idea to call an experienced car wreck lawyer in Atlanta. They can at review your case and give you an idea of what it might be worth.
Remember – Every Plaintiff is Demanding the Same Kinds of Damages
One of the things you have to keep in mind is that you’re not as special as you think you are. Yes, your Atlanta injury lawyer is going to work to get you as much money as possible. However, when there are multiple plaintiffs, the insurance money has to be spread around.
Cases involving multiple plaintiffs typically are strong in favor of the plaintiffs. The odds of two or three plaintiffs colluding against a single defendant are slim. The insurance company understands this. Their goal is to settle all of the cases for the amount covered under the policy.
What Kinds of Damages are You Expecting in Your Atlanta Personal Injury Case?
Your Atlanta personal injury lawyer is going to ask for damages. Just because there are other plaintiffs won’t change your initial demand. It may just change the amount you get in the end.
Depending on the nature of your accident, you may be entitled to some or all of the following:
- Medical bills – If there are several plaintiffs, they’re all going to suffer different types of injuries. The reason it’s so important to go to the hospital after your crash is so that you can get medical treatment. It will also help your lawyer prove how bad your medical damages are.
- Lost wages – Even if you suffer minor injuries, you could miss some time from work. This is even more true if you do physical work. Your injuries could immobilize you for quite some time. The defendant will be liable for any time you miss from work.
- Pain and suffering – There’s no guarantee that you’ll be entitled to pain and suffering. Yes, in cases involving serious injuries, these damages could make up a lion’s share of your case. However, your attorney will have to submit proof that you experienced a lot of physical and mental anguish.
- Permanent disability – In very serious accidents, the victims are lucky to make it out alive. You could end up permanently damaged as a result of your crash. If this happens, you may end up on permanent disability.
- Property damage – Whether you’re in a rear-end accident or are hit head-on, you’re going to suffer some damage to your car. The defendant should be responsible for the repairs.
It’s your Atlanta personal injury lawyer’s job to make you whole -not to make you rich. They can only get you damages for the injuries you actually suffered.
Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer in Atlanta, Georgia Today
If you’re hurt in a car accident, you’re going to need to focus on your recovery. This is why it’s so important that you call an experienced Atlanta, GA injury lawyer. They’ll review your case for free and give you an idea of what it might be worth.
Call today and schedule your free initial consultation. An experienced car accident attorney can give you the peace of mind you need. You may have questions about what sorts of damages you can claim. You may be frustrated that your insurance claim has been denied. Whatever your situation, there’s a good chance your attorney can help. Call today and talk to one of our accident lawyers.