Gastonia, the largest city in Gaston County, NC, and its county seat, is a place that many consider to be laid-back and relaxed. But Gastonia is not without tragedies. Wrongful deaths mar the lives of many Gastonians, leaving them scarred for life and yearning for justice. If you have lost a loved one due to someone else’s negligence, call a Gastonia wrongful death attorney from Ted A. Greve & Associates, P.A. so you can start the process of moving on and moving forward.
Table of Contents
Wrongful Deaths in Gastonia
Wrongful or accidental death can result from many different events, but the bottom line is that they result from another’s negligence. Here are some wrongful death statistics in Gastonia and North Carolina in general:
- Motor vehicle accidents. In 2011, there were 7 fatalities from car crashes in Gastonia, according to City-data.com. Meanwhile, records from the Highway Safety Research Center state that two people obtained fatal injuries from car accidents involving trucks.
- Medical mistakes. Medical negligence or malpractice incidents seem to be frequent in North Carolina, where 4,000 patients die each year because of preventable medical mistakes, such as prescription errors, according to the New England Journal of Medicine.
- Occupational accidents. The Bureau of Labor Statistics recorded 148 fatal work-related injuries (including construction accidents) in North Carolina in 2011. Specifically, in the Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord area, there were 22 such fatal injuries.
There are other common incidents that can lead to wrongful death. Some examples are a building owner’s neglect to put up a cautionary sign at a hazardous spot, a car manufacturer’s faulty manufacturing step, or even a government agency’s failure to fix a dangerous road.
Wrongful Death Compensation: Beneficiaries and Types
In wrongful death cases, a person who would have been the heir of the victim can receive compensation under North Carolina law. So if you were the spouse, child, or parent of your lost loved one, you may be able to claim this compensation.
Your compensation should cover the different aspects of your loss, both economic (financial and other material losses) and non-economic (intangible losses).
Some examples of economic payments are for:
- Funeral expenses
- Medical expenses that led up to the victim’s death
- Expected loss of income from the victim
Meanwhile, non-economic compensation can include payment for:
- Emotional pain or mental anguish
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of training and guidance
Claiming compensation for your huge loss can be distressing, especially because this is a very emotional time in your life. The process may even get messier when insurance companies try to downplay your claim, or when there are multiple beneficiaries involved.
You need to entrust your case to a good personal injury lawyer who can stand up for you and your best interests throughout this difficult time.
Moving Forward with a Gastonia Wrongful Death Attorney
A lawyer from Ted A. Greve & Associates, P.A. can best handle your case. With the firm’s 20+ years of successful experience, they can help you obtain the compensation you rightfully deserve. More than that, they can give your family-like comfort that you need to move forward.
Talk to them about your case. Call (844) 387-8677 and get a free consultation.