Spine Injury Lawyer Charlotte, NC
If you or someone you know has suffered a spine injury, then you may be wondering what a Charlotte, NC spine injury lawyer does and who they represent. A lawyer can provide legal advice and representation to those who have sustained an injury due to the negligence or fault of another party. Gain some insight into how a lawyer can help you get the financial compensation you deserve for your medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages, and then contact one today at Ted A Greve & Associates.
What Does a Spine Injury Lawyer Do?
They specialize in helping people who have suffered serious or catastrophic injuries to their spine. These types of injuries can range from minor neck or back pain to paralysis due to nerve damage. These lawyers understand the complexity of the medical and legal issues that can arise from these types of injuries, so they are well-versed in representing those affected by them. The first step a spine injury lawyer takes is to investigate the incident that caused the injury. They will look into all of the factors, such as whether there was negligence or recklessness involved, as well as any preexisting conditions that may have contributed to the injury. They will also review all of the medical records related to the injury in order to determine how it occurred and how severe it is. Once the initial investigation is complete, the lawyer will then work with their client to develop a comprehensive legal strategy. This includes filing a lawsuit against those responsible for causing the injury, as well as seeking compensation from insurance companies and other liable parties. A good lawyer will also provide support and guidance throughout the entire legal process in order to ensure that their client receives maximum compensation for their injuries.
Who Do They Represent?
A Charlotte spine injury lawyer represents those who have suffered a spine injury due to the negligence of another. This could be a motor vehicle accident, a slip and fall, a workplace accident, or other incidents. The lawyer will typically represent the injured party in filing a personal injury lawsuit. The goal of such lawsuits is to secure financial compensation for the injured person for their medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. The lawyer’s job is to prove that the other party was responsible for causing the injury, either through their own negligence or through recklessness or carelessness.
If you have been injured, contact Ted A Greve & Associates for help.
What Are the Different Types of Spine Injuries?
Spine injuries can range from minor to severe according to a Charlotte, NC spine injury lawyer who commonly deals with these cases at Ted A Greve & Associates — the injuries can involve any of the vertebrae that make up the spine. The most common types of spinal injuries include:
- Cervical Spinal Injuries: These are injuries to the seven cervical vertebrae in the neck region. Common cervical spinal injuries include whiplash, slipped discs, and fractures.
- Thoracic Spinal Injuries: These are injuries to the 12 thoracic vertebrae in the upper and middle back. Common thoracic spinal injuries include compression fractures, dislocation, and degenerative disc disease.
- Lumbar Spinal Injuries: These are injuries to the five lumbar vertebrae in the lower back. Common lumbar spinal injuries include herniated discs, sciatica, and spondylolisthesis.
- Sacral Spinal Injuries: These are injuries to the five sacral vertebrae in the lower back near the tailbone. Common sacral spinal injuries include pelvic fractures, cauda equina syndrome, and spina bifida.
Compensation For Your Spinal Injury
As you prepare to move forward with your spinal cord injury case, you might wonder what kind of compensation is available after your accident. This will depend on a few factors, such as how severe the injury was, whether you are expected to make a full recovery, and what your treatment plan is. Your Charlotte spine injury lawyer will also want to know who you should file your claim with. Depending on how the accident happened, you may be filing a claim against:
- A negligent person. This typically happens when one person acted negligently or recklessly and caused you to become injured. This may happen if you got a spinal cord injury after you were in a car accident.
- A defective product. It is also possible to get a spinal cord injury from a defective product. For example, if you were in a car accident and the airbags deployed the wrong way and caused you to get a spinal injury, you may be filing a claim against the airbag manufacturer.
When you are hoping to recover compensation for your spinal cord injury, you may be looking at compensation for:
- Your medical expenses. When dealing with spine injuries, many doctors will tell you that you will likely not walk away fully healed, if you are fortunate enough to be walking. Spine injuries can cause a lifetime of difficulty for the person who is dealing with this type of injury. You could be facing multiple surgeries, hospital stays, expensive medications, rehabilitation, and different types of therapy. This can all easily–and quickly–cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not more.
- Mental anguish. While you are understandably going through a great deal physically, your brain may feel incredibly overwhelmed with the trauma that is happening. You may be unable to go on family bike rides, stroll through the park with your loved one, or get up and cook your favorite meal. There are so many unseen pains that a spinal cord injury can cause and it may be difficult for you to move on with the new life you now have. It’s more than just physical healing that you need. This type of injury can be devastating emotionally and mentally as well.
- Lost wages. You can receive compensation for lost wages if you were unable to work for a period of time and you can fight for compensation for lost earning capacity as well. This means if you are unable to return to your job and can no longer work in your field, your lawyer can work with different types of expert witnesses to determine how this injury impacts your family financially, now and in the future.
Reach Out To The Team You Can Trust
The recovery from an accident like this can be grueling. Even in some of the best circumstances you may never be back to your old self. When you are dealing with a spine injury and would like to fight for the compensation you deserve, do not wait any longer to speak with someone.
If you have been injured, contact a Charlotte spine injury lawyer at Ted A Greve & Associates for help.
4 Myths About Spinal Injuries
If you or a loved one have suffered a spinal cord injury then it may be in your best interst to reach out to a Charlotte, NC spince injury lawyer in your area. The unfortuante truth is, that many families that are going through this serious event are fed false information. This false information can drastically change how you look at the outcome of such a serious injury.
To clear the record and make things right below are four of the most common myths surrounding spinal injuries.
- Spinal Injuries Are Always Untreatable
Whoever came up with this myth didn’t care about people’s feelings. Getting the proper medical care and rehabilitation is critical to one’s quality of life after such an injury. Yes, having insurance helps, but no matter what kind you have, your spinal injury isn’t hopeless.
There are many different ways to treat a spinal injury, and often that care changes over time. No two treatments look identical, but treatment is an option. If your injury is from the negligence of someone else then a Charlotte spine injury lawyer may be able to help you get compensation for your medical expenses.
- Progress in Rehabilitation Depends on Age
Every spinal injury is different. Your ability to progress through this rehabilitation depends on many factors. This includes the type and severity of your injury, the medical care available to you, your social support, and many other factors. Your age isn’t one of them though. Many spinal injury victims who are older experience great progress through rehabilitation.
- All Spinal Injury Victims Experience Permanent Total Paralysis
The simple truth of the matter, is no this is not true. Every injury is different and every victim has a unique story. While there is often a loss in mobility or sensory function, there is a wide spectrum in the levels of impairment. Paralysis is not necessary to have a serious injury. In fact, not everyone who has a spinal injury will face any form of paralysis. Working with a physical therapist and your doctors can in some instances reverse the paralysis. There are many stories out there of individuals determined to walk again, doing just that.
- Attitude Makes No Difference In Recovery
No matter what you are going through in life, your attitude does make a difference. That doesn’t mean you have to be positive all the time. Having a spinal injury is beyond difficult, but having a good support system through the hard times is important. Having a positive attitude, grit, and determination are the driving forces behind the daily actions it takes to recover. Celebrating the small steps in progress is a great way to keep your spirits up, no matter how small that progress is.
Spinal injuries are nothing to joke about. They are serious and if you or someone you love has suffered one then you know just how difficult things can be. If you have any more questions about what a Charlotte spine injury lawyer can do for you then don’t hesitate to reach out to Ted A Greve & Associates for more information.
Spine Injury Lawyer FAQs
What Should I Look For in a Spinal Injury Lawyer?
When choosing a Charlotte, NC spinal injury lawyer, it is important to look for someone with experience handling spinal cord injury cases, such as one of our lawyers at Ted A Greve & Associates who you can trust. You should also look for a lawyer who has a track record of success in securing compensation for their clients. You generally want to feel comfortable and confident with your lawyer in which they feel easy and natural to work with.
What Can I Expect When Working With a Spinal Injury Lawyer?
When you are working with a dedicated Charlotte, NC spinal injury lawyer, you can expect them to thoroughly evaluate your case and advise you on your legal options. Your lawyer will work to gather evidence, negotiate with insurance companies, and represent you in court if necessary. In short, your lawyer will remove the taxing burdens from you while you focus on your path to recovery. A spinal injury is inevitably a long road to establishing a normal life again, and you deserve the proper time and space to heal.
When Should I File My Spinal Injury Case?
You should technically file your spinal injury as soon as you can. In North Carolina, you can file your case up to two years from the date of the accident. However, the longer you wait to file may risk having a more well-rounded case. As time goes by, eyewitnesses may not have as clear of the memory of the event, and evidence may simply be harder to come by. Once you are medically stable, you should contact a Charlotte spinal injury lawyer as soon as you can to begin the filing process.
How Long Does It Take to Resolve a Spinal Injury Case?
The timeline for a spinal injury case varies entirely on the parameters of the accident. Some spinal injury accidents can be very clear and straightforward, where it is completely obvious who the at-fault party was and why they were negligent. In that case, you may be able to handle your case in a matter of months. Unfortunately, there are many ways cases can be far more complicated and may take a matter of years to resolve. A qualified lawyer will work tirelessly on your behalf to make sure your case’s timeline is not unnecessarily drawn out in any way.
What Types of Cases Do Spinal Injury Lawyers Handle?
There are a few more common types of spinal injury cases that lawyers will handle. Though experienced lawyers will have handled a much wider variety of cases than just the examples listed below. Regardless, it’s important to be aware of these more common accidents, and the nature of the negligence involved.
- Car accidents: A spinal cord injury can occur if someone is involved in a car accident, particularly if the accident was caused by a negligent driver.
- Slip and fall accidents: If someone slips and falls and injures their spine, they may be able to pursue compensation from the property owner if the accident was caused by a hazardous condition that the owner failed to address.
- Medical malpractice: Even skilled doctors will unfortunately make mistakes during surgery, and if you are a victim of malpractice, you should not have to pay for any of your damage out of pocket.
Overall, a passionate Charlotte spinal injury lawyer can be an endless resource for someone who has suffered a spinal cord injury. Ted A Greve & Associates can help their clients navigate the legal process and pursue compensation for their injuries. Don’t hesitate to contact our offices today if you are seeking legal guidance.