More people do their holiday shopping online today than ever before. It used to be that people went to the mall and department stores to do their Christmas shopping. Sure, they would order a few things online or from a catalog. But today, people do a majority of their shopping without leaving the house. What this means is that there are thousands of extra delivery trucks on the road in the month of December. They’re doing their best to get people their packages in time for the holidays. They work hard and try to be as careful as possible. However, they’re only human. There is a chance that you could get into an accident with a delivery truck this holiday season.
Even though the drivers try to be careful, things happen. They may get distracted and get into an accident. Or, they could be driving a bit too fast and not be able to stop in time at a red light. The good news is that you won’t see many of these trucks on the major highways. However, Charlotte car accident lawyers see more than their fair share of truck accidents.
If this happens to you or your loved one, you need to call an experienced automobile accident lawyer in Charlotte, North Carolina.
What to Do Immediately After Your Accident With a Delivery Truck
Just because you’ve gotten into an accident with a commercial driver, you still need to follow the basic guidelines. You can’t treat it any differently just because the other driver is a professional. If you follow these steps, your car accident lawyer should be able to get you compensation for your injuries.
These are the things you have to do after your crash:
- Call the police. When the cops come out, they’ll talk to everyone involved. They’ll check to see that the commercial driver has their CDL. They may even ask to see their truck’s maintenance logs. The important thing is that they’ll prepare an accident report. Your attorney is going to need this to prove that the truck driver was at fault.
- Seek medical treatment immediately. Don’t assume that, just because they work for a delivery company, they’re going, to be honest. You will still have to prove that you were injured. The best way to do this is to go to the hospital. Plus, it’s always a good idea to make sure you’re physically and mentally okay.
- Call an experienced car accident lawyer in Charlotte. Having a lawyer means the insurance company will take you more seriously. You don’t want them to try to take advantage of you.
Your Charlotte Accident Lawyer Will Fight to Get You as Much Money as Possible
The reason you hire a car accident lawyer in the first place is to get you the compensation you deserve. You would be at a disadvantage if you tried to handle your case on your own.
When you talk to your lawyer, show them your medical bills. Let them see how much time you’ve missed from work. They’ll put together a statement of damages. This may include any or all of the following damages:
- Medical Bills: If you had to pay out of pocket for any medical bills, you can demand reimbursement. So can your primary healthcare provider if they covered treatment related to the crash.
- Lost Wages: Depending on the kind of treatment you needed, you may have missed time from work.
- Property Damage: If you’re hit by a delivery vehicle, you’ll probably experience significant damage to your car or SUV.
- Pain and Suffering: Truck accidents tend to be serious. You may be entitled to damages for your pain and mental anguish.
Your car accident lawyer in Charlotte, North Carolina will negotiate to get you a fair settlement. They want you to focus on getting better while they deal with the legal side of things.
Contact an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer in Charlotte, North Carolina
If you or your loved one are injured in an accident with a delivery truck, you need to call a car crash lawyer in Charlotte, NC. They’ll check to see who the possible defendants are. This will likely include the driver and the delivery company they work for.
Call today and schedule your initial consultation. It’s absolutely free and you pay nothing until your case is settled. The defendant will have a lawyer working for them and you should too.