Can You Sue the City for Faulty Roads?

Most car accidents in Georgia are caused by negligence. This means that someone was driving and they weren’t very careful. Maybe they ran a red light. Or, maybe they were tailgating and slammed into the back of your SUV.

In cases like this, all your Atlanta car accident lawyer has to do is prove they were negligent. If they can do this, you’ll be able to collect damages for your injuries. In order to prove negligence, your auto accident attorney must show the following five (5) things:

  • The defendant owed you a duty of care
  • They breached this duty
  • Their actions caused the accident
  • The accident and your injuries were foreseeable
  • You actually suffered damages

Your Atlanta injury lawyer can do this in a number of ways. But they will have to submit evidence proving that the other driver was responsible. They can do this using:

  • Witness statements
  • The police report
  • Video recordings
  • Expert testimony
  • Pictures
  • Statements made by the drivers involved in the crash

If you can prove these things, then you should be able to receive the compensation you deserve.

But, what if the person responsible for your crash isn’t a person at all? What if it’s the town or the county where the accident took place? Well, you’ll still have to prove the same things. However, these cases can be very difficult to win.

The good news is, your Atlanta car accident attorney has experience going up against defendants like the county. They know what it takes to get you the compensation you deserve.

Why Would You Sue the City for Your Car Accident Damages?

There are times when your car accident is caused by negligence on the part of the city or county. These cases usually involved faulty traffic lights or dangerous road conditions. Because the court will usually give great deference to the municipality, your Atlanta car accident attorney may be facing an uphill battle.

Some situations in which the city may be liable for your car accident injuries include:

  • A traffic light wasn’t working and you got t-boned in the middle of an intersection
  • The county failed to install guard rails along the side of a dangerous highway
  • There were trees or other objects obstructing your view
  • A dangerous pothole caused you to lose control of your car
  • Road workers or county vehicles caused your crash

If any of these situations apply in your case, you’re going to want to retain an attorney who has experience in handling cases like this. You’ll have to file a claim against the municipality’s insurance company. These insurance companies don’t like to pay out claims.

You Must File a Claim Against the City or County’s Insurance Company

If you believe the city or county is responsible for your accident, you’ll need to file a claim against their insurance policy. This works the same way it does with any other car accident.

You need to make sure your claim is filed right away. If you wait too long, the insurance company may deny your claim. You also want to make sure you fill out the proper paperwork. You don’t want your claim being rejected due to a clerical error or missing information.

You’ll also have to prove that the city or county was at fault. This is where things can get difficult. The insurance company is going to presume that something other than their client’s negligence caused your car crash. They’re not in the business of paying claims and your case will be no different.

You’ll still have to show negligence. You’ll have to prove that the city or county didn’t do what they were required to do as far as maintaining safe roads. Your car accident attorney in Georgia will have to submit evidence to prove this.

Contact an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer in Atlanta Today

Filing suit against a large city like Atlanta isn’t easy. It may feel like you’re David going up against Goliath. This is why you need to contact an experienced car accident lawyer in Atlanta right away.

Car accident lawyers at Ted A Greve & Associates handle these types of cases all the time. They’re not intimidated by the city or county. They know how to deal with insurance adjusters too. So, call today and schedule your initial consultation. It’s absolutely free and you pay nothing until you settle your case.