If you’re involved in a motor vehicle accident, you may be entitled to damages. It really depends on whether you can prove the other driver was at fault. And, the more serious your injuries, the more money you’ll be entitle to. If you want to maximize your chances of receiving the compensation you deserve, you should hire an experienced car accident lawyer in Augusta, Georgia.
Some car accidents are very minor. Other than some damage to your vehicle, you walk away unscathed. In cases like this, the insurance company will normally pay your claim. As long as it isn’t too large, it’s cheaper for them to pay your claim than it is to fight it. Other accidents are a lot more serious. They involve physical injuries to both drivers. They also cause a significant amount of damage to the vehicles involved.
If the other driver is at fault, you’ll need to file a claim against their insurance company. Your claim should include any losses you suffer. Your car accident attorney in Augusta will be able to ensure you get the money you’re entitled to. That’s why you need to call and talk to one as soon as possible after your crash.
What Sort of Damages Can Your Augusta Car Accident Lawyer Demand?
If you’re hurt in a car accident in Georgia, you’ll be entitled to certain damages. The types of damages you can demand depends on how serious your injuries are. Most accident victims are entitled to the following types of damages in Georgia:
- Medical bills – Your car accident attorney in Augusta is going to make sure you’re reimbursed for any out of pocket medical expenses. This also includes the costs of any future medical care you may need. For example, if you need a second or third surgery, the defendant should be liable for the costs of these surgeries.
- Pain and Suffering – Depending on how bad your injuries are, you may be entitled to pain and suffering. These are the damages intended to cover any physical or mental anguish caused by the crash.
- Lost wages – If you’re out of work for more than a week or two, you can demand that you be compensated for lost wages. This also includes any lost future wages you’ll experience as a result of your accident.
- Property Damage – Obviously, if your car is damaged in the crash, you can demand money to cover the cost of repairs. If your car is totaled in the accident, then you can demand replacement value.
The good news is your Georgia car accident lawyer knows what sort of damages you may be entitled to. They also know how to prove your damages.
Proving Lost Wages and Lost Future Income is Not as Easy as You May Think
Some people think they’re automatically entitled to damages if they get into a car accident. This isn’t the case. In order to get you damages, your car accident lawyer in Augusta needs to prove two things. First, they need to prove that the other driver is at fault. Second, they need to demonstrate that you’ve suffered damages as a result of the crash. For each type of damages you demand, your attorney needs to submit evidence proving that you actually suffered the losses claimed.
In order to receive damages for lost wages, your attorney will need to prove a few things. This includes the following:
- They’ll need to prove that you missed a certain amount of time from work. In order to demand any sort of lost wages in your car accident lawsuit, you’ll need to show that you missed at least 7 days of work.
- You cannot demand compensation for any days covered by personal time off, vacation time or sick time.
- You’ll need to submit proof of how much you would normally have earned had you been able to go to work.
- You need to prove that you missed work because of injuries caused by the car accident.
The other thing to keep in mind is that you may be entitled to compensation for lost future income. This is a lot harder to prove. Not only do you need to demonstrate that you’ll miss this future time because of your injuries. Your Augusta car accident lawyer will also need to demonstrate exactly how much money you’ll be missing.
This can be complicated. That’s why we recommend that you call and talk to one of our experienced car accident lawyers in Georgia right away. You can schedule your free initial consultation right away.