If you get into a car accident in Atlanta, you’re probably going to suffer some pretty serious injuries. Even if your accident is only minor, you may require surgery or physical therapy. On top of that, your car will probably sustain some damage in the crash. If this happens, you’re going to need an experienced car accident lawyer to handle your Atlanta car accident lawsuit.
One of the first things you may ask your attorney is how much your case is worth. In fact, when clients have their free initial consultation, this may be the most important question they ask. And, that makes sense. The whole point of hiring a lawyer is to get compensation for your injuries.
However, before you think about how much your case is worth, you need to make sure you have a case. Your Atlanta car accident attorney is going to have to prove your case. This means they’ll probably have to prove negligence. If they can do this, you may be able to recover for your injuries.
Your Car Accident Lawyer in Atlanta Has to Prove Negligence in Order to Recover
Just because you sue someone doesn’t mean you’re going to get money. You have to be able to prove liability in order to recover. In most car accident cases, this means your lawyer will have to prove negligence.
In order to prove negligence, you need to demonstrate the following four (4) things:
- The defendant owed you a duty of care – This is not hard to prove in an Atlanta car accident lawsuit. Every driver owes other motorists a duty of care. At a minimum, they have to follow all the traffic laws. They also have to exercise common sense.
- They breached this duty – The hardest part of your case will be proving that the other driver breached their duty of care. You have to show that they didn’t drive the way a reasonable person would have. An example of a breach would be drunk driving or driving while under the influence of drugs.
- You were injured – You need to go to the hospital in order to get medical treatment. Without medical documentation, it will be impossible to prove that you were hurt.
- Your injuries were caused by the defendant’s breach – Usually, this is pretty obvious. Unless something else happened to intervene, it won’t be difficult to prove that your injuries were caused by the crash.
Your Attorney Will Demand Certain Damages
Once you’re able to prove fault, your car accident attorney in Georgia will demand damages. The types of damages they demand depends on the nature of your injuries. Obviously, the more serious your injuries, the greater your damages.
Your car accident lawyer is going to demand the following:
- Medical Bills and Future Medical Bills – If your injuries are serious, you may need long-term medical care. Your lawyer will make sure you’re compensated for your medical bills. You shouldn’t have to pay for this out of pocket.
- Lost Wages – If you miss a good bit of time from work, you should be compensated. Your lawyer will submit timesheets and tax records to prove these damages.
- Property Damages – Odds are, your car was probably damaged in the crash. You can submit an estimate showing how much it cost to repair your car.
- Pain and Suffering – These are meant to compensate you for any mental and physical anguish caused by the collision. They can be difficult to prove. This is why it’s so important that you seek medical treatment immediately after the wreck.
Your Atlanta Car Accident Lawsuit Will Probably Settle
Regardless of what damages your lawyer demands, your case will probably settle. Most settlements are for less than your total damages. You have to willing to compromise if you want to resolve your case quickly.
More than 90% of all car accident cases settle long before trial. Nobody wants to go to trial. They’re expensive and time-consuming. Plus, you risk losing. You could end up with nothing if you don’t settle out of court.
Contact an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer in Atlanta
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, you’re going to need a skilled car accident lawyer in Atlanta. They can review your case and let you know what it may be worth. They can also answer any questions you may have.
Call Ted A. Greve & Associates today and schedule your free initial consultation. And remember – you pay nothing until you settle your case.