What is the Best Way to Seek Work Injury Compensation in Augusta, Georgia?

If you have suffered a work injury in Augusta, Georgia, and are searching for injury compensation, the lawyers at Ted A. Greve & Associates are here to help you. Augusta, GA workers’ compensation laws state that if you have been injured at work, you are entitled to receive up to two-thirds of your weekly income. You are also entitled to travel expenses and medical benefits.

What Can Augusta Workers’ Compensation Cover?

Employers in Augusta, GA, are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance. If you have suffered a work injury, you have the option of filing a claim against your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance.

Worker’s compensation laws in Georgia provide employees with options for financial benefits as well as medical benefits. If you have been injured on the job, your injuries may mean that you are unable to work for some period of time while you recover. Your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance can cover these lost wages by providing you two-thirds of your average weekly income.

The insurance also gives benefits to any dependents you may have in the event that you die of a work injury. One great thing about workers compensation laws in Augusta, GA, is that you are covered for injury compensation from the very first day you start your job. If you are unsure if your company is covered by worker’s compensation, you can verify your company’s coverage by visiting the state workers’ comp website.

Am I Entitled to Worker’s Compensation Benefits?

There are certain workers who are not covered by Georgia’s Workers’ Compensation laws. These workers fall into the following categories:

  • Employers with less than three employees
  • Farm laborers
  • Domestic servants
  • Railroad employees
  • United States government employees
  • Independent contractors

For anyone else, you should be able to receive workers’ compensation benefits from your employer with no issues.

How Do I Seek Work Injury Compensation in Augusta, Georgia?

When you suffer a work injury on the job, you should report the accident to your employer immediately. It is possible that if you wait over 30 days to report the incident, you may lose benefits. Once you report the work injury, your employer is responsible for providing you with information about their preferred medical care providers. It is important to note that if you choose to go to a healthcare professional who is not on this list, then you run the risk of losing your workers’ compensation benefits.

Once you begin receiving medical treatment, your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance will pay for the treatment, medical expenses and any medication you must take as a result of the injury. It should be noted that if your work injury occurred on or after July 1, 2013, your medical treatment is limited to a maximum of 400 weeks from the date of the accident.

You are entitled to weekly injury compensation if you cannot work for more than one week (seven days) after the injury. You will receive your first check 21 days after the first day of work you were not able to attend. Your benefits will be two-thirds of your weekly paycheck, but no more than $575 per week. If you suffer permanent or catastrophic injuries, you may be entitled to lifetime benefits. If you do not receive your workers’ compensation benefits, it is your responsibility to file a claim within one year of the date of your work injury. You can do this by filing a WC-14 form.

If you die as a result of your work accident, your dependents are entitled to two-thirds of your weekly wage, capping at a maximum of $575 per week. Dependents include your spouse, children, or dependent stepchildren. If you pass away and your spouse is your only dependent (if you had no children), your spouse is entitled to a maximum of $230,000.

What Should I Do If My Injury Compensation Claim is Denied?

If you submit a claim for a psychiatric condition, it is very likely that your claim will be denied. Your claim may also be denied if your employer states that you are an independent contractor. If this happens to you, you have the right to request a hearing with the State Board of Workers Compensation. If this happens to you, consult an attorney at Ted A. Greve & Associates to help protect your rights.

Reach Out to a Georgia Lawyer Today to Discuss Your Options for Work Injury Compensation

If you have suffered a work injury and are seeking workers’ compensation in Augusta, Georgia, contact a lawyer at Ted A. Greve & Associates to help you understand Georgia’s workers’ compensation laws. Our Augusta workers compensation lawyers will ensure that you receive all the benefits you are entitled to in the event that you are hurt on the job.