Deciding that it’s time to move your mom or dad into a nursing is not easy. You probably grappled with the decision for years. None of us ever want to admit that we’re not capable of taking care of our elderly parents. But the time may come when you realize that you just can’t do it yourself. When that day comes, you need to find a nursing home that will take great care of your parents. The point of moving your loved one into a nursing home is so that they’ll be comfortable and safe. The last thing you want to do is find out that your mom or dad is the victim of nursing home abuse in Augusta.
When you choose a nursing home, it’s important that you look for a few things. Some of these include:
- A clean and friendly environment that won’t be depressing for your loved one
- Skilled and compassionate caregivers who will take excellent care of your mom or dad
- A home that offers social and entertainment opportunities for your parent
- a facility that has an impeccable history free from complaints and grievances
Nursing home abuse can take many forms. Regardless of the type of abuse, you’ll need to contact an experienced personal injury lawyer to protect your loved one’s rights. They’ll work hard to get your loved one the compensation they deserve.
There are Several Types of Nursing Home Abuse in Augusta
Your loved one could be the victim of several different types of abuse. It’s not limited to just physical abuse. The different types of elder abuse include:
- Physical – If your loved one is physically assaulted or restrained, they may be the victim of physical abuse.
- Mental or Emotional – Your mom and dad deserve to be treated with kindness and compassion. If this isn’t happening, you may have a legal claim.
- Sexual – Your loved one could be subjected to sexual abuse at the hands of the nursing home staff or another resident.
- Financial – If the staff are stealing from your loved one, this constitutes financial abuse.
- Neglect – This type of abuse can be hard to detect. If your loved one isn’t kept clean and well taken care of, they may be the victim of neglect.
Regardless of the type of abuse they’ve suffered, your mom or dad is probably entitled to damages. Your Augusta personal injury lawyer will have to file a claim against the nursing home.
Your Personal Injury Lawyer in Augusta Must Prove Your Damages
If you learn that your loved one is the victim of elder abuse, you may be entitled to damages on their behalf. The nursing home should be held liable for any injuries they’ve caused your mom or dad.
Some of the damages, that your loved one maybe entitled to include:
- Medical Bills – If they are hospitalized or require medical care, the defendant will have to pay for this treatment. This includes future medical care as well. Your parent’s doctor can testify as to what future medical treatment they may need. The defendant will be liable for these expenses.
- Pain and Suffering – These damages are intended to compensate you for physical and mental anguish. These usually make up the lion’s share of your settlement.
- Financial reimbursement – If the abuse was financial, then your loved one should be reimbursed for any items that were stolen. This includes any money that was taken. It also includes the payment of any charges that were made without their knowledge or consent.
- Emotional Distress – If your loved one was the victim of emotional abuse, they may be entitled to special damages. These are difficult to prove. However, in nursing home abuse cases, they’re more common than you may think.
Just remember. It’s your lawyer’s job to make your parent whole. It’s not their job to make them rich. They’ll do what they can to get your loved one the compensation they deserve.
Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney in Augusta Today
If your loved one has been the victim of nursing home abuse in Augusta, they may be entitled to damages. If you suspect any sort of elder abuse, contact an experienced personal injury lawyer in Augusta today. They can review your case and let you know what it may be worth. They can also answer any questions you may have.
Call Ted A. Greve & Associates today and schedule your initial consultation. It’s absolutely free and you pay nothing until you settle your case. The defendant will have a team of lawyers working for them and you should too. There’s too much at stake to try to handle this yourself. Let them handle the legal side of things while you focus on making sure your loved one gets better.