Deciding that it’s time to move your mom or dad into nursing is not easy. You probably grappled with the decision for years. None of us ever want to admit that we’re not capable of taking care of our elderly parents. But the time may come when you realize that you just can’t do it yourself. When that day comes, you need to find a nursing home that will take great care of your parents. The point of moving your loved one into a nursing home is so that they’ll be comfortable and safe. The last thing you want to do is find out that your mom or dad is suffering from nursing home abuse in Augusta.
When you choose a nursing home, it’s important that you look for a few things. Some of these include:
- A clean environment that they will be comfortable in. You don’t want them unhappy or miserable.
- Skilled and trained employees who know exactly how to care for your mom or dad
- A facility that has a robust activities department
- A company that doesn’t have a history of complaints and state violations
Nursing home abuse can take many forms. Regardless of the type of abuse, you’ll need to contact an experienced personal injury lawyer in Augusta, Georgia to protect your loved one’s rights. They’ll work hard to get your loved one the compensation they deserve.
There are Several Types of Nursing Home Abuse in Augusta
Your loved one could be the victim of several different types of nursing home abuse in Augusta. It’s not limited to just physical abuse. The different types of elder abuse include:
- Physical –The most common form of abuse is physical abuse. This involves hitting, punching or even restraints.
- Mental or Emotional – You may notice that your loved one is sad or emotional. Or, they could be withdrawn. These are signs of mental and emotional abuse.
- Sexual – This type of abuse can come at the hands of the staff or other residents.
- Neglect – If the staff doesn’t take proper care of your loved one, they can become neglected. This is not that hard to spot.
If you suspect your loved one isn’t being cared for properly, call an Augusta personal injury lawyer.
Your Personal Injury Lawyer in Augusta Must Prove Your Damages
If you learn that your loved one is the victim of elder abuse, you may be entitled to damages on their behalf. The nursing home should be held liable for any injuries they’ve caused your mom or dad.
Some of the damages, that your loved one may be entitled to include:
- Medical Bills – Even though your loved one is in a hospital-like setting, they may still need to go out for medical care. For example, if they fall and break their hip, they’ll need to go out for surgery and physical therapy.
- Pain and Suffering – These could make up a large part of your loved one’s claim. If they suffer mental or physical anguish, they could be entitled to special damages.
- Financial reimbursement – If someone stole your mom or dad’s money or belongings, they’ll be responsible for replacing it. Or, if they can’t replace it, they’ll have to reimburse them for the value. If it was an employee, the home will be responsible for their actions.
- Emotional Distress – It can be hard to prove this. By their very nature, nursing home residents may already be emotionally unstable or distressed. Your injury attorney needs to prove that damages. It may require testimony from an expert.
Your loved one is in a nursing home. Chances are they don’t have many assets. However, if they do get damages for their neglect or abuse, your attorney will make sure the funds are set aside for them.
Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney in Augusta Today
Nobody wants to think that their loved one could be the victim of nursing home abuse. But if it happens, you can’t handle it on your own. This is why you need to contact an experienced Augusta, GA nursing home abuse lawyer to help.
Call today and schedule your initial consultation. The first meeting is free and you pay nothing until you settle your case. Your attorney can answer any questions you and your loved one may have. They’ll also deal with the nursing home and their lawyers on their behalf. This will give you the peace of mind you so desperately need. Contact us today to set up your free consultation. We can help.