Odds are, if you’re like most people, you’ll be doing some holiday shopping this December. Whether you’re buying Christmas gifts or Hanukkah presents, you’re going to have to make it to the mall. When people go to department stores and the mall, they’re already in a rush. The last thing store managers should expect is shoppers who are paying careful attention to the floor and broken furniture. With so many people out and about, store owners need to take an extra effort to make sure their stores are clean and safe. People are constantly spilling their drinks on the floor. Hangers and other pieces of clothing are lying on the floor. There’s no telling how messy and dangerous it can be in mall department stores. If you or your loved one fall at a mall or get hurt at a store or mall this year, you need to call an experienced personal injury lawyer in Augusta, Georgia.
How Will Your Injury Attorney in Georgia Prove Negligence if You Fall at a Mall?
For most slip and fall cases, your Augusta injury lawyer will have to show negligence. This is basically just another way of saying that you have to prove the defendant didn’t behave the way they should. Mall owners and store managers owe shoppers a certain duty of care. Shoppers should be able to assume that the store is clean and neat. They shouldn’t have to worry about there being dangerous conditions in the store.
In order to prove negligence, your Augusta personal injury attorney needs to show the following four (4) things:
- The defendant owed you a duty of care – This isn’t the hard part about your case. All store owners have a duty to keep their shoppers safe.
- They breached this duty – You do have to show that the store had a dangerous or unsafe condition. Your attorney may also have to show that they were aware of this condition.
- You were injured – This is why it’s so important that you go to the hospital. It’s the best way to show that you were actually injured.
- The breach caused your injuries – As long as you went to the emergency room, this may not be hard. Of course, there’s always the chance that the defendant will claim you had a pre-existing condition. If this is the case, your attorney will address that with your medical records.
If Your Augusta Personal Injury Lawyer Proves Negligence, You Will Be Entitled to Damages
Your Augusta personal injury lawyer will always work to get you as much money as possible. You have to be realistic though. You can only receive compensation for injuries you actually suffered. Some of the types of damages you can demand include:
- Medical Bills: The defendant may be responsible for any medical bills you experienced. This includes hospital bills, co-pays, and fees for medical equipment.
- Lost Wages: Depending on how much time you missed, you may be able to demand compensation.
- Pain and Suffering: For serious injuries, there can be a lot of pain involved. You may also suffer mental anguish.
If the fall is very embarrassing, you may also have a claim for emotional distress or PTSD. Your personal injury lawyer in Georgia will review your file to see how bad your injuries are. They can also consult with a doctor to see if these types of damages apply in your case.
Your job is to get better. Let your attorney deal with the issue of damages.
Contact an Experienced Personal injury Lawyer in Augusta, Georgia
If you fall at a mall, it may seem like a minor event. But it can be life-changing. People suffer very serious injuries in slip and fall cases all the time. If this happens to you, there’s a good chance you’re entitled to damages. That’s why it’s wise to call and talk to an experienced slip and fall injury lawyer in Augusta right away.
You don’t want your case to get stale. You also don’t want to miss your filing deadline. Call today and schedule your free initial consultation. Let a skilled lawyer review your case and answer any questions you may have. They can deal with the insurance company and lawyers while you focus on getting better.
The defendant’s insurance company will have to defend the case for them. This means you’ll be at a disadvantage if you try to handle your case on your own. This is why it’s a good idea to retain an experienced and hard-working attorney in Augusta at Ted A. Greve & Associates.