Georgetown, SC (October 28, 2023) – A boat accident reported on Thursday morning claimed one person’s life. The incident was reported on October 26.
According to reports from the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, two boats collided on the Pee Dee River near the Horry-Georgetown County line. The incident prompted multiple first responders and emergency crews to respond to assist.
One person suffered fatal injuries due to the crash. The victim was located by divers and pronounced deceased.
At this time, the incident is being investigated.
We offer our condolences to the family of the victim who died in this boating accident.
Fatal Boat Accidents in South Carolina
Reports from 2020 show that approximately 25 people died as a result of fatal boat accidents in South Carolina. Every year, we continue to see innocent people die as a result of negligence. There are several reasons why there are so many boat accidents that take place across our state. Some of the leading factors include:
- Operator Inattention: Just like with car accidents, inattention or distraction by the boat operator is a common cause of accidents. This can involve not paying attention to other vessels, navigation, or changing weather conditions.
- Excessive Speed: Operating a boat at excessive speeds can make it difficult to respond to other vessels, obstacles, or changes in the environment, increasing the risk of accidents.
- Alcohol and Substance Abuse: Boating under the influence of alcohol or drugs makes accidents more likely by impairing judgment, coordination, and reaction times.
After losing a loved one in a fatal accident, you can seek compensation for some of the damages and losses you face. This can include compensation for:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of financial support
- Your loved one’s final medical expenses
- Loss of companionship, consortium, and guidance
- Loss of inheritance
- Mental and emotional suffering
To take action in seeking legal assistance for a wrongful death case resulting from a boat accident in Georgetown or elsewhere in South Carolina, you should contact an experienced wrongful death lawyer. They can help you navigate the legal process and explore your options for seeking compensation and justice.
At Ted Greve & Associates, we are more than just a law firm. We are a team of dedicated and compassionate legal advocates who are committed to helping our clients during their most difficult times. With our decades of experience and unwavering dedication to protecting the rights of our clients, we have successfully helped thousands of individuals secure the maximum compensation for their legal claims. If you have lost a loved one due to someone else’s negligence, we understand the pain and suffering your family is going through. That’s why we urge you to reach out to us today for a free consultation so that we can discuss your case and guide you towards obtaining the justice and compensation your family deserves. Contact us now at (800) 693-7833 and let us help you navigate through this challenging time with care, compassion, and expertise.