Some people decide to handle their car accident claim themselves. They’re afraid that an attorney will cost too much money. Or, they hate the idea of a Atlanta auto wreck lawyer taking a percentage of their settlement. What they don’t realize is that it’s much better to receive a percentage of something than all of nothing.
If having an attorney is what stands between winning and losing your case, then it makes sense to call a lawyer. Your lawyer isn’t going to charge you anything upfront. Instead, they take a percentage of your settlement proceeds or judgment. This percentage is typically one-third of your total damages.
If your case has to go to trial, this percentage usually goes up to 40%. This is because trials are expensive and time consuming. There’s also a chance that you’ll receive more money if you go to trial than if you settle. But, there’s also the chance that you’ll lose and get nothing. This risk is on both you and your car accident lawyer in Atlanta.
Your Atlanta Auto Wreck Lawyer Will Fight to Get You Damages
The whole point of hiring a lawyer is to get as much compensation as possible. Having a lawyer by your side increases your chances of winning. It also increases your odds of getting more money.
Your Atlanta car accident lawyer will fight to make sure you receive the compensation you deserve. Some of the damages they’ll demand include the following:
- Medical bills and future medical bills – You’ll be entitled to compensation for your medical bills. This includes things like hospital bills, ambulance rides and prescriptions. You can also demand compensation for future medical bills. Your car accident lawyer in Atlanta will hire experts to show just how much you’ll have to pay for future medical care.
- Lost wages and lost future earnings – If you’re injured, you’re going to need to take some time off from work. If you miss more than a couple of weeks from work, the defendant should be responsible for these lost wages. The same is true if you won’t be able to work full-time after your accident.
- Pain and suffering – If your injuries are serious, you may be entitled to pain and suffering. These damages are meant to compensate you for any physical and mental anguish caused by the accident.
- Permanent disability – If you can’t return to work because of your injuries, you’ll end up on disability. You can demand the difference between what you’ll receive on disability compared to what you would’ve earned working full-time.
- Property damage – Obviously, the defendant will have to pay to repair or replace your vehicle.
Your lawyer knows what it takes to prove your damages. Once they do this, they’ll make a demand on the defendant. If you win your case, you’ll receive damages or a settlement. The attorney will be entitled to a certain percentage of these damages.
What Happens if You Lose Your Case?
A lot of people wonder why an attorney would expect to get up to 40% of their settlement. What they don’t realize is that the attorney is taking a lot of risk in your case. They will spend dozens or hundreds of hours on your case. There is a chance that they’ll get nothing if you lose. They only get paid if you win or settle your case.
In exchange for this risk, your Atlanta auto wreck lawyer does get a percentage of your case. Keep in mind – they’ll be pushing to get you as much money as possible. The more you get, the more you get. So, the contingency arrangement is in everyone’s best interests.
Contact an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer in Atlanta, Georgia Today
When an accident victim visits their personal injury lawyer for the first time, they worry about how much it will cost them. The idea of paying a lawyer a percentage of your settlement may seem frustrating. However, the benefit of having an experienced accident attorney handle your case is well worth it. Your attorney is going to get you as much compensation as possible. They will work hard for every dime.
Call today and schedule your initial consultation with an experienced accident injury lawyer in Atlanta. They will review your case and answer any questions you may have. They can also negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf. You need to focus on getting better. Let your car accident lawyer handle the legal side of things for you.