Last Night’s Bar Fight Could Mean Personal Injury Lawsuit

Many people over the legal drinking age of twenty-one regularly visit bars and clubs to check out the local social scene. Depending on how often you visit bars, you might have witnessed–or possibly been involved—in a bar fight. It happens. Sometimes, regularly law-abiding citizens who have consumed too much alcohol make the poor decision of engaging in public violence–subsequently hurting someone.

Individuals who suffer from serious physical injuries brought on brought on by another person will typically press criminal charges against the aggressor, usually for assault and battery; however in cases where the individual has incurred substantial losses or “damages,” civil lawsuits can be brought forth. These civil proceedings are referred to as personal injury or tort cases. Cases where individuals have sustained serious injuries, or have incurred substantial losses are represented by personal injury lawyers. Although, unlike regular personal injury cases where an “accident” took place, these cases are referred to as “intentional torts” because the injury that you have sustained is a direct result of the aggressor’s willful actions–to cause harm or damage.

If you are victim of a violent altercation and have sustained serious injuries, read the Q & A below on intentional torts before contacting a personal injury lawyer.

Q: How Do I Know If My Circumstance Qualifies as a Personal Injury, or an Intentional Tort, Case?

A: Your case qualifies as an intentional tort case under personal injury law if you have suffered an injury to your person, or have incurred damage to your property by the direct and willful actions of another individual. If the injury or damage sustained was an accident by fault of another individual or organization, then you have suffered a personal injury. In both cases, you should consult a personal injury lawyer.


Q: Can I Sue Someone for Intentional Tort Even If I Have Already Reported Them to the Police?

A: Yes, intentional tort cases can be brought to court even if the aggressor has been criminally charged. If provided, bring a copy of the police report to your free consultation with your personal injury lawyer.

Q: Where Can I Find a Lawyer Who Will Handle My Case?

A: Consulting an experienced personal injury lawyer will be the first step to claiming the compensation you deserve. If you have been the victim of a violent confrontation, and are seriously suffering from related injuries, contact us at the law firm of Ted A. Greve & Associates, P.A. to schedule a FREE consultation. We will help you restore justice, and seek compensation for the injuries you have sustained.

Q: What Should I Bring to the Free Consultation With My Lawyer?

A: Bringing potentially relevant documents, or witnesses to your free consultation will help your lawyer immensely. For example, police reports, signed eyewitness statements, pictures of your injuries, and copies of medical reports from doctors and hospitals that describe your injuries will aid in building a strong claim against the aggressor. The more information you are able to give your lawyer, the easier it will be for him or her to determine if your claim will be successful. However, if there are some documents that you have not collected, the lawyers at Ted A. Greve & Associates, P.A. will be able to help you obtain them. We are committed to your case!