Drowsy driving is generally not taken seriously. Most people don’t talk enough about it, and that is probably why people take this issue quite lightly. That is a mistake, since statistics indicate that more and more accidents in Atlanta, Georgia are the result of distracted driving. No matter how many signs are posted on the roads about drowsy driving laws and distracted driving, people still drive while tired. Driving tired can be very dangerous, and evidence clearly shows that driver fatigue is a very common cause of accidents in drivers of all ages.
The Dangers of Drowsy Driving
It is estimated that nearly 4-5% of drivers over the age of 18 have reported falling asleep while driving over the previous four weeks. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration drowsiness while driving resulted in nearly 72,000 accidents, 44,000 injuries and 800 deaths in 2013. And these numbers are gross underestimates because there is no way of knowing ahead of time if the driver was drowsy in some accidents, since most drivers do not admit they were driving tired. It is believed that drowsy driving causes at least 6,000 fatalities each year.
Why do people feel drowsy when driving?
People end up driving tired for many reasons, some of which include:
- Not getting enough sleep before getting in the car or truck
- Having a sleep-related disorder like sleep apnea (Nearly 50 million Americans have some type of sleep disorder which could lead to them feeling exhausted and tired during the daytime)
- Use of certain medications like sedative, painkillers, and antihistamines
- Drinking alcohol
- Performing shift work
- For truckers, it is meeting deadlines and delivery
Why is distracted driving so dangerous?
Most people who drive have no idea when they will start to feel drowsy. It is usually an uncontrollable feeling which takes over the body. When drivers feel drowsy, the following can happen:
- The driver is less attentive on the road and may be oblivious to what is happening in and around them.
- The reaction time is slowed. For example, in case of a dangerous situation, the driver may react too slowly and may not stop or steer away in time.
- The driver is not able to make good or safe decisions because their ability to is impaired due to driver fatigue.
- Drowsiness also affects other senses like vision and hearing, which make for a very dangerous situation on the road. In addition, one may fail to hear noises like car horns or sirens if their drowsiness is too intense.
Drivers should be aware of Georgia drowsy driving laws as they can offer protection and can guide them as to when they should be behind the wheel and when they should not.
What are warning signs of drowsiness while driving?
Drowsiness can present in the following ways:
- Frequent blinking of the eyes
- Frequent yawning
- Unable to hold a conversation
- Not knowing the present location while driving
- Difficulty remembering structures/roads passed over the past few miles
- Missing your exit
- Swaying on the road
- Failing to obey road signs
What to do to avoid driving tired?
If you ever feel drowsy while driving the best advice is to pull over and rest or get someone else to drive. Just opening the window and letting some fresh air in or turning up the radio are not deemed to be effective methods of curing drowsiness. Remember, if you are driving tired, the risk of being in a car accident can increase. In addition, you can always be caught driving randomly, and you could be penalized for breaking drowsy driving laws. There is no point in engaging in distracted driving as it will only cause you harm.
Reach Out to an Atlanta, Georgia Car Accident Lawyer
If you are a victim of a car accident that is the result of distracted driving or because of a driver who was driving while tired, you should contact Ted A Greve & Associates. Our firm’s team of attorneys is here to serve you and to provide you the best legal representation. We value every client that trusts us with their problem, and we consider any legal issues you face to be extremely important. When you speak to our determined Atlanta auto accident lawyers, they will take all the relevant details about your case. They will evaluate how the drowsing driving laws can be applied to your particular situation and will determine how you can get the compensation you deserve. Call us today, and our legal team will be happy to assist you.