It’s hard to imagine that someone on foot could ever be responsible for a car accident in Augusta. But, sometimes, if it weren’t for a pedestrian, you wouldn’t have gotten into an accident in the first place. The problem isn’t always proving that the pedestrian was responsible. It won’t even be that difficult to prove your damages. The problem is, you’ll have to hope that the pedestrian has assets. Otherwise, your accident claim won’t be worth more than the paper it’s printed on.
When you get into an accident with another car in Augusta, they’ll have car insurance to cover your injuries. Or, if they don’t have insurance, you can file a claim under your own uninsured motorist’s policy. But what do you do when your accident was caused by a pedestrian? Some policies may cover this kind of accident. But for the most part, you’ll have to rely on the defendant’s personal assets to get your money.
Your Augusta car accident lawyer can investigate to see what kind of assets the defendant has. They’ll do this before they file a claim. They don’t want to waste your time. And they certainly don’t want to waste their time. If there are no assets, it may not be worth filing suit. However, if the defendant does have assets, there’s no reason not to file your lawsuit. You can get a judgment against the defendant. Then, your Augusta car accident lawyer can execute against their assets to make sure your judgment is paid. Or they can negotiate an out of court settlement with the defendant’s lawyer.
If you get into any sort of accident, whether it’s with another car or a pedestrian, contact an experienced car accident lawyer in Augusta.
When Would a Pedestrian Be Held Liable for Your Injuries?
In order to prove that the pedestrian is liable for your damages, you’ll have a big burden to overcome. Most judges and juries are going to assume that the person driving the car was liable. In order to prove that the pedestrian was responsible for your crash in Augusta, your Augusta car accident lawyer has to prove the following:
- The pedestrian jumped out in front of your car
- They were drunk or high and staggered in front of your vehicle
- They were laying in the middle of the road
- They were walking against the “Do Not Walk” sign and entered traffic
Your Car Accident Lawyer in Augusta Has to Prove Damages
As long as you go to the hospital, your Augusta car accident lawyer should be able to prove your damages. They’ll need your medical records to prove that you were injured. Now they have to demonstrate exactly why you should have a claim for damages. Depending on your case, you may be able to demand any or all of the following:
- Medical Bills – If you are hospitalized or require medical car, the defendant will have to pay for this treatment. This includes future medical car as well. Your doctor can testify as to what future medical treatment you need. The defendant will be liable for these expenses.
- Lost Wages – If you miss a significant amount of time from work, you can demand that you be reimbursed for lost wages. Usually, this requires that you miss at least a couple of weeks. Your attorney will submit time sheets and payroll records to prove these damages.
- Property Damage – If any of your property was damaged or destroyed during the accident, you can demand compensation.
- Pain and Suffering – These damages are intended to compensate you for physical and mental anguish. These usually make up the lion’s share of your settlement.
- Permanent Disability – If you can no longer work as a result of your accident, the defendant may be held liable for these damages. They are represented by the difference in what you’ll earn on disability compared to what you would’ve earned if you could return to working full-time.
Just remember. It’s your lawyer’s job to make you whole. It’s not their job to make you rich. They’ll do what they can to get you the compensation you deserve.
Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney in Augusta Today
If you have been hurt in any sort of motor vehicle accident, you need to contact an experienced car accident lawyer in Augusta today. They can review your case and let you know what it may be worth. They can also answer any questions you may have.
Call Ted A. Greve & Associates today and schedule your initial consultation. It’s absolutely free and you pay nothing until you settle your case. The defendant will have a team of lawyers working for them and you should too. There’s too much at stake to try to handle this yourself. Let them handle the legal side of things while you focus on getting better.